At the excursion around the Shuvalovo park, the guide told, that somewhere close to that place the German colony used to be, and they had their own churches and cemeteries. Where was it exactly situated? You see, on the new maps it is not present, and old maps are not available.
INDEED, the New Pargolovo German colony extended out from the Poklonnaya mountain up to the present-day road to Bugry. It had arisen in 1868 on the grounds of earls Shuvaloffs, and by the end of XIXth century it was the large foodstuff supplier for the neighboring settlements. The Pargolovo peasants didn’t give any hope: they cared only of habitation for the dacha people, and only the Germans delivered livelihood to them. The colonists grew up potatoes, other vegetables, held the dairy cows. The Pargolovo dacha people turned their noses away from the smell of the colonists’ fields, but they regularly ate the Germans’ sour cream and asparagus.
The colony population had the extremely closed image of life - they spoke only their native language among themselves, married only with Germans. They had the St. Maria Magdalena Lutheran church - a small wooden building with a spike. In 1939 it was rearranged into a cinema, and during the blockade the church was disassembled for firewood. Near the church, there was a cemetery - on the modern toponymics, it is somewhere between Kompozitorov street and the Vyborg highway, near Asafjev street.
During the war, all the colony inhabitants were banished away - somebody to Siberia, somebody to Kazakhstan or to Ural. Nobody returned back. Though in 1972 the Germans were permitted to return to their native places, nobody wanted to do this. On the waste ground between the Vyborg highway and Kompozitorov street, the remains of apple-tree gardens are runnig wild - only on them and also on the bases of houses, having grown down into the ground, it is possible to guess, that a habitation was there.
«Arguments and Facts», N 11 (1064), March 2001